Explosive Permits

A permit from the Office of the State Fire Marshal is required for the use and storage of all explosives, regardless of purpose. Three types of explosive permits are offered by this office:

  • A Permit to Use Explosives is required for any individual or organization (company, corporation, business, etc.) that wishes to use explosives.
  • For any individual handling explosives, a permit by the Office of the State Fire Marshal will be required.
  • A Permit to Store Explosives is required for the specific site explosives will be stored. The Storage Permit Application must be signed by the local jurisdiction prior to submission to our office. Failure to do so will cause a delay in processing your application.

The Office of the State Fire Marshal has adopted the National Fire Protection Agency 495 Manufacture, Transportation, Storage, and Use of Explosive Materials (2013 edition). We also operate under Kansas Administrative Regulation 22-4-5 (PDF).

Lost Permits

If you have lost your permit and need a new one, please fill out the Replacement Request form.

Explosive Permit Forms