There are four categories of permits; Indoor, Outdoor, Flame Effects, and Unlimited. The permit is valid for four years.
Access the proximate pyrotechnic permit form for new applicants (PDF) or renewals (PDF).
The holder of the permit shall keep original permit on his person at all times while working with/around articles pyrotechnic. A copy of the permit will not be accepted as valid proof if questioned by authorities. The following requirements also apply:
- An applicant must be at least 21 years of age.
- An applicant cannot have any felony convictions.
- A criminal history check will be done.
- Applicant must provide experience in the performance of at least three articles of pyrotechnic displays in the last four years. A minimum of four individual devices must be used to qualify as a display of articles pyrotechnic.
- Applicant must pass a written examination administered by the Kansas State Fire Marshal's Office by receiving a score of 80% or above.