The National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) 495 - Kansas Explosives Materials, 2013 Edition can be ordered using the order form (PDF). These are available through Building News for $59.95 each plus shipping. The Office of the State Fire Marshal is offering to pass along our volume discount and selling these for $55.00 and includes shipping.
Control hazards when handling explosives by complying with the latest safety provisions in the 2013 NFPA 495.
Explanation of Standards
NFPA 495: Kansas Explosive Materials Code identifies reasonable levels of safety for the manufacture and transportation, storage, sale, and use of explosive materials, including blasting agents, water gel and emulsion materials, smokeless propellants and black powder propellants, and small arms ammunition. It does not apply to transportation of such material used for military purposes or when under jurisdiction of the federal government.
The 2013 edition features a major revision on the ground vibration chapter, including:
- Additional requirements pertaining to use of seismographs
- An expanded Air Overpressure section that adds in a maximum allowable limit of air overpressure, 133 dB
This important Code is essential for explosives manufacturers; small arms manufacturers, distributors, or retailers; or enforcers such as fire and building officials.
A permit from the Office of the State Fire Marshal is required for the use and storage of all explosives, regardless of purpose. Three types of explosive permits are offered by this office:
- A Permit to Use Explosives is required for any individual or organization (company, corporation, business, etc.) that wishes to use explosives.
- For any individual handling explosives, a permit by the Office of the State Fire Marshal will be required.
- A Permit to Store Explosives is required for the specific site explosives will be stored. The Storage Permit Application must be signed by the local jurisdiction prior to submission to our office. Failure to do so will cause a delay in processing your application.
The Office of the State Fire Marshal has adopted the National Fire Protection Agency 495 Manufacture, Transportation, Storage, and Use of Explosive Materials (2013 edition). We also operate under Kansas Administrative Regulation 22-4-5 (PDF).
If you have lost your permit and need a new one, please fill out the Replacement Request form.
- Daily Summary of Magazine Transactions (PDF)
- Explosive Blaster Permit Application (PDF)
- Explosive Distributor Permit Application (PDF)
- Explosive Handler Permit Application (PDF)
- Explosive Manufacturer Permit Application (PDF)
- Explosive Replacement Permit (PDF)
- Explosive Storage Permit Application (PDF)
- Explosive User License Application (PDF)
- K.A.R. 22-4-5 Explosive Regulations (PDF)
- National Fire Protection Agency 495 Kansas Edition Order Form (PDF)
- Office of the State Fire Marshal Report of Lost or Stolen Explosives - Fillable (PDF)
- Office of the State Fire Marshal Report of Lost or Stolen Explosives (PDF)
- Shot Records (PDF)